Basic nutrients are essential to maintaining a healthy and well balanced diet. Basic nutrients are easy to incorporate into healthy living because they are so readily available. Healthy eating plans including the basic nutrients are advisable for families, the choices of healthy foods nowadays are on the increase, but still people are not getting all of the Basic Nutrients that are available in food choices today. A wide variety of the basic nutrients in healthy family meals can now be both cost efficient and easily prepared in the home or schools.
Remaining healthy by eating a well balanced diet is the foundation to many aspects of life especially for children at school and it is not difficult as a parent to achieve a better quality of life for your children
Basic Nutrients Listed
Here are the Basic Nutrients that are essential to incorporating a well balanced diet into the family mealtimes:-
- Vitamin A is essential for Growth and development.
- Vitamin B is essential for Metabolic and Catabolic reactions in the body.
- Vitamin C is essential for reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
- Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones and can prevent fractures.
- Vitamin E can reduce the threat of Cardiovascular Diseases.
- Calcium is essential for healthy bones, skin and teeth.
- Carbohydrates are essential (in moderation) for physical development.
- Fibre is essential to maintain healthy bowels.
- Protein is essential for stimulating the growth of blood vessels.
A wide variety of a well balanced diet is a vital means to protecting health, and is advantageous for healthy growth and development. In children especially it is a stimulant for concentration and will give them energy and fulfilment. Risks such as dental decay and anaemia will be greatly reduced.
At least two foods from the following groups must be available every day:-
- Breads, Cereals and Pulses
- Fresh Fruit
- Fresh Vegetables
- Meat and Poultry
Fish and Seafood should be made available at least once during the week.